Waiting on Wednesday – The Ember Blade by Chris Wooding

January 24, 2018

Waiting on Wednesday is a meme hosted by Breaking the Spine to let us share our excitement for books coming out soon.

I loved Retribution Falls, but never read the rest of the series for some reason (I think it took a while to get published in the US?). Seeing Wooding try his hand at fantasy has me really excited, and while I only see it right now with Gollancz, I am really hoping that I get my hands on a copy.

The Ember Blade by Chris Wooding
Published by Gollancz on May 17th 2018
Pages: 368

LibraryThing button-amazon book-depository-button audible-button

A land under occupation. A legendary sword. A young man’s journey to find his destiny.

Aren has lived by the rules all his life. He’s never questioned it; that’s just the way things are. But then his father is executed for treason, and he and his best friend Cade are thrown into a prison mine, doomed to work until they drop. Unless they can somehow break free . . .

But what lies beyond the prison walls is more terrifying still. Rescued by a man who hates him yet is oath-bound to protect him, pursued by inhuman forces, Aren slowly accepts that everything he knew about his world was a lie. The rules are not there to protect him, or his people, but to enslave them. A revolution is brewing, and Aren is being drawn into it, whether he likes it or not.

The key to the revolution is the Ember Blade. The sword of kings, the Excalibur of his people. Only with the Ember Blade in hand can their people be inspired to rise up . . . but it’s locked in an impenetrable vault in the most heavily guarded fortress in the land. All they have to do now is steal it. . .

Designed to return to classic fantasy adventures and values, from a modern perspective, this is a fast-moving coming-of-age trilogy featuring a strong cast of diverse characters, brilliant set-pieces and a powerful character and plot driven story.

• Lynn January 24, 2018 at 6:40 am

Ohh, I love the sound of this one – I haven’t read this author yet but I did recently buy a copy of Retribution.
    Lynn 😀

• Tammy @Books, Bones & Buffy January 24, 2018 at 9:00 am

This does sound good, I’ve never read Wooding before. Hopefully a US edition will pop up, or maybe you can get your hands on the UK version!

• Lisa (@TenaciousReader) January 24, 2018 at 10:05 am

I think you would enjoy his books. And yes, definitely hoping of a US edition, will see.

• Amber Elise @ Du Livre January 24, 2018 at 9:45 am

Ooo is this like a King Arthur retelling? It sounds interesting!

• Lisa (@TenaciousReader) January 24, 2018 at 10:06 am

Yes, it does sound that way, doesnt it? Hoping it is as fun as it sounds!

• Bob @ Beauty in Ruins January 24, 2018 at 11:07 am

Hmm, I like the sound of “classic fantasy adventures and values” but I’m not sure I have the patience for another “coming-of-age trilogy” (I think I’ve outgrown that trope).

• Lisa (@TenaciousReader) January 24, 2018 at 12:12 pm

ah, I seem to still enjoy it as long as I mix in enough other stuff 🙂

• DJ (@ MyLifeMyBooksMyEscape) January 24, 2018 at 11:21 am

Yep, I’m all about this. This fantasy/coming-of-age nevers gets old for me. Deff want to check this one out more.

• Melliane January 24, 2018 at 1:01 pm

Intriguing cover there! I didn’t know about it

• Greg January 24, 2018 at 4:20 pm

This one looks fun! I love the sound of a traditional fantasy with diverse characters, and it has an amazing cover too. That one definitely makes me want to read it! 🙂

• Lisa (@TenaciousReader) January 25, 2018 at 8:09 am

It really does sound like a fun traditional style fantasy, which is really appealing right now

• sjhigbee January 24, 2018 at 7:22 pm

I like Chris Wooding’s writing – many thanks for sharing this one, Lisa:)

• Lisa (@TenaciousReader) January 25, 2018 at 8:25 am

You’re welcome! 🙂 Always happy to spread the word about books

• Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum January 24, 2018 at 8:43 pm

Yeah, I had this book on my watchlist too, but noticed that it’ll only be available from Gollancz…hopefully a US publisher will pick it up too.

• Lisa (@TenaciousReader) January 25, 2018 at 8:26 am

Yep, I’d be happy if they just released audiobook over here 🙂 Will have to wait and see. I’ve been disappointed before with some UK releases not becoming readily available over here so I hate to watch them too close

• Danya @ Fine Print January 26, 2018 at 11:54 am

I’ve heard so many good things about Wooding but never got around to reading his stuff myself. A new series seems like a great place to start!

• Lisa (@TenaciousReader) January 30, 2018 at 8:54 am

Exactly! As long as we can get our hands on copies of it! 🙂