Stacking the Shelves: October 10, 2015

October 10, 2015

Stacking the Shelves is a weekly feature all about sharing your good luck in book acquisitions! So here’s what came my way since my last post!

It’s been another couple of great weeks for book additions!

Received for Review

WithoutLightOrGuide

DrowningEyesCover PatchwerkCover

Without Light or Guide by Teresa Frohock – I really enjoyed the first in this series, and am really looking forward to the next one! If you have not read Frohock’s work before, she write great dark fantasy stories, that are exciting, and very much to the point. Honestly, I don’t know how she makes them feel so fully fleshed out with such short page counts. My thanks to Harper Voyager for the eARC.

The Drowning Eyes by Emily Foster (eARC novella) – A surprise arrival from Tor.com. Dragon ships? Pirates?? Um, yes. I am so in. Thanks to Tor.com Publishing for sending this my way.

Patchwerk by David Tallerman (eARC novella) – This was another surprise arrival form Tor.com. I have heard good things about Tallerman’s The Giant Thief, but have yet to make the time to read him. This sounds different with airships, and a thriller style plot, I am hoping to make time to check it out. Thanks again to Tor.com Publishing.

Freebies

When I signed up for the Rebel Yell!, Rebellion’s new bi-weekly newsletter, I got free copies of these three ebooks! Because, you know, I need more books! I don’t know how long it lasts, but if you’re interested, here’s the sign up.

FearsomeJourneysCover HawkwoodAndTheKingsCover TheSentinelMage

And, I finally was able to get my Free copy of Locke & Key audiobook! I am really curious to see how well the visual graphic novels translate to an audiobook. Definitely not a series I mind revisiting! For those interested, it is free until November 4th!

LockeAndKeyAudioCover

Purchases

IMG_4046IMG_4047

A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms by George R. R. Martin – I have been wanting to read the Dunk and Egg stories for years, but I am pretty bad about reading Anthologies. So, the thought of hunting down each of the anthologies these stories were in was a bit of a deterrent. Well, how handy to bundle them together! Really look forward to checking them out. And while the price of the eBook was rather steep, it thankfully easily swayed me to pay a couple dollars more for the physical book which has lots of great art through out it. This example is just one from the first few pages.

• Danya @ Fine Print October 10, 2015 at 11:28 am

Wow, gorgeous cover art for The Drowning Eyes! I’ve never heard of a graphic novel being translated into audiobook format, I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts on how successful the adaptation is! I read the first volume of Locke & Key and I confess that it scared the pants off me.
    Danya @ Fine Print recently posted…Waiting on Wednesday: Vol. 38My Profile

• Lisa (@TenaciousReader) October 10, 2015 at 9:10 pm

Yes, the whole “graphic novel” to audiobook translation is a bit … perplexing. But I have heard they can be really good, and this one has a full cast. I;m looking forward to making time for it.
      Lisa (@TenaciousReader) recently posted…Stacking the Shelves: October 10, 2015My Profile

• DJ (@MyLifeMyBooksMyEscape) October 10, 2015 at 12:33 pm

I grabbed a free copy of Lock & Key, and very curious about how a graphic novel gets told through audio. I assume it would be similar to narrator of the TV shows for blind audiences?

When my copy of A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms came in, all I did was flip through the pages looking at all the drawings 😛
    DJ (@MyLifeMyBooksMyEscape) recently posted…Author Interview: Marianne de PierresMy Profile

• Wendell October 10, 2015 at 1:45 pm

Great haul. Thanks for the link to the Rebellion newsletter signup, got my freebie books. 🙂
    Wendell recently posted…EMPEROR OF THORNSMy Profile

• Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum October 10, 2015 at 2:03 pm

Yeah, definitely go for the physical book with A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms! One of my new rules, any time there are illustrations involved, always go for hard copy 😉
    Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum recently posted…Mogsy’s Bookshelf Roundup: Stacking the Shelves and Recent ReadsMy Profile

• Hannah October 12, 2015 at 5:50 pm

Oooh the new GRRM book is the Dunk and Egg stories? I was giggling that he’d released another novel before Winds of Winter when I saw, that’s a little better. 😉

Also thanks for thanks links, managed to claim Locke and Keye for me and husband, thankfully it was okay with the UK accounts! 😀
    Hannah recently posted…Number 5 is Alive! …ishMy Profile

• Tammy @Books, Bones & Buffy October 14, 2015 at 9:21 am

I need to get in touch with Tor.com and get some of their novellas. I feel so left out! Reviewer’s seem to really love them.
    Tammy @Books, Bones & Buffy recently posted…Waiting on Wednesday [168] – TIME SIEGE by Wesley ChuMy Profile

• Lynn October 14, 2015 at 5:38 pm

I will definitely be reading the next Frohock to see where she takes us next.
    Lynn 😀