Tough Traveling – Forbidden Love

August 13, 2015

ToughTravelingBanner
Nathan over at Fantasy Review Barn is the mastermind of Tough Traveling. What’s Tough Traveling? Pretty much, it’s a weekly feature on Thursdays where we dig around to come up with examples of common tropes in fantasy, using Diana Wynne Jones’ The Tough Guide to Fantasyland as our inspiration and guide. Nathan has invited one and all to join in the fun, so feel free to come up with your own lists and add the link on Nathan’s weekly post, which will also contain (unleash) the next weeks theme. So let the fun begin …

This weeks theme?  FORBIDDEN LOVE

Even in Fantasyland parents are not always happy with their children’s choice of partners.

SagaLove1Alana-and-Marko-2

SagaLove-2

Alana and Marko from Saga by Brian K. Vaughan

It’s not just parents that are upset with this particular romance. It’s entire worlds. Alana and Marko are on the run for their lives, all because they are from warring races/planets. They risk everything for their love and their daughter. And they are fierce. You really don’t want to get in their way.

TheJustCityCoverAny Couple or Parent/Child pair from The Just City by Jo Walton

The Just City tries to employ any number of tactics to prevent any person or family from being favored above others. So, “procreation” is reserved for rotating assigned partners on the specified night. Couples and families are forbidden. Even after a child is born, the mother is denied from knowing that child for fear she may show some level of favoritism. She does her duty of feeding other babies, but knows she will never be allowed to feed her own. So really, this can also be “forbidden love” between parent and child.

TimeSalvagerbyWesleyChuJames and Elise from Time Salvager by Wes Chu

So, what is the number one rule of time traveling? Besides “don’t mess up history”? Well, how about “leave people from the past IN the past?”. Yeah. That’s the big one. So, when James, who’s job is to salvage resources just before a disaster would destroy them, meets Elise on a job, and gets these little electric tingles at her touch, what do you think happens? (It’s in the blurb, so no real spoilers). Yeah, he brings her back. And now they are on the run from some nasty people that have all kinds of resources.

MadShipbyRobinHobbAmber and “Mystery Man” from Liveship Traders by Robin Hobb

I really can’t say much about this one, because, well, this series is just full of spoilers, and I think this comes to light most likely in the third book.

So, if you've read the entire trilogy, you will know:
Amber re-carves Paragon with such love an devotion, and it becomes clear she has a certain someone in mind. Someone she loves with such an intensity that she will do whatever she can to make this person happy. Even if it means staying away.

MirrorSightCoverKarigan and King Zachary from Green Rider Series from Kristen Britain

What? You mean to tell me a messenger is not good enough for the hand of the king? Evidently not, so poor Karigan must suffer her secret love for her patriarch alone.

Although, seeing how Zachary is such a stand-up guy...
he did offer Karigan the opportunity to be his royal mistress. Gee, for some reason Karigan didn’t think this was good enough for her and turned his royal ass (literally here) down. Did I ever mention I like Karigan? ‘Cause I do.

Jaime and Cersei from A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin

Oh, come on. You knew I had to list these two. There’s just no end to their creepy entertainment value. And to show how mutual it is, I have a disturbing/shudder worthy quote from each of these loving siblings.

game-of-thrones-cersei-jaime-lena-headey-game-of-thrones-1161281878

JaimeAndCersei

• jessicabookworm August 13, 2015 at 5:42 pm

I also have Cersei and Jaime Lannister on my list. Creepy as they are .. they are like the ultimate forbidden love!
    jessicabookworm recently posted…Meme: Tough Traveling – Forbidden LoveMy Profile

• Stephanie August 13, 2015 at 7:10 pm

I think Alanna and Marko from Saga win the day and I’m feeling real bad that I haven’t gotten to this series yet!!

The Just City is also high on my must read list and it is definitely the most interesting example of this trope I’ve seen thus far!
    Stephanie recently posted…TOUGH TRAVELING | Forbidden LoveMy Profile

• Lisa (@TenaciousReader) August 15, 2015 at 1:38 pm

Alana and Marko are just perfect for this, that series is so much fun! And yep, I loved The Just city for this one, as it is a different than the expected. 🙂
      Lisa (@TenaciousReader) recently posted…Stacking the ShelvesMy Profile

• Danya @ Fine Print August 13, 2015 at 9:16 pm

Alanna and Marko forever! Jaime and Cersei…blergh. But you’re right, they definitely fit the trope. Proof that sometimes forbidden love really should be forbidden.
    Danya @ Fine Print recently posted…Tough Traveling: Forbidden LoveMy Profile

• DJ (@MyLifeMyBooksMyEscape) August 13, 2015 at 9:22 pm

Since you brought up Jaime and Cersei, I would also like to brother and sister of Theon and Asha upon their first meeting XD
    DJ (@MyLifeMyBooksMyEscape) recently posted…Comic Book Review: Starve #2 (Starve #2) by Brian WoodMy Profile

• Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum August 13, 2015 at 9:42 pm

Uh yeah, that’s two disturbing pics too many of the creepy twin couple 🙂

And I love Alana and Marko, because fighting against whole worlds for your forbidden love is like the best kind there is. /romanticsigh
    Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum recently posted…Book Review: Cash Crash Jubilee by Eli K. P. WilliamMy Profile

• Lisa (@TenaciousReader) August 15, 2015 at 1:39 pm

They are quite creepy, but I can’t help it, they still amuse me 🙂 And Alana and Marko are the best!
      Lisa (@TenaciousReader) recently posted…Stacking the ShelvesMy Profile

• Kaja August 14, 2015 at 4:44 am

You just HAD to go and choose creepy quotes to accompany Cersei and Jamie, didn’t you?! 🙂 Those two are crazy, but the Targaryens were always marrying each other, weren’t they? Ugh.

The Saga couple sounds fierce and awesome! 🙂
    Kaja recently posted…Tough Travels: Forbidden LoveMy Profile

• Lisa (@TenaciousReader) August 15, 2015 at 1:40 pm

ha ha …. yes. Different standards for the crazy Targaryens for some reason. And the Saga couple is definitely fierce and awesome 🙂
      Lisa (@TenaciousReader) recently posted…Stacking the ShelvesMy Profile

• Lynn August 16, 2015 at 6:30 pm

I knew that you’d have the Game of Thrones on here. (I would have been disappointed if you hadn’t had them!)
    I love your choices of Chu and Walton though – quite inspired!
    Lynn 😀
    Lynn recently posted…Kushiel’s Chosen by Jacqueline Carey, readalong week No.3My Profile